"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back." Philippians 3:12-14

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Jesus-Confidence


The other day I was praying in my prayer journal, as I do sometimes, and I wrote the word self-confidence down as a need for myself as well as a friend of mine. But it suddenly hit me that the confidence I want and need is not found in myself, so I quickly marked it out. I began to think about what the word ‘self-confidence’ really means.

According to Merriam Webster’s Dictionary, Self-Confidence is defined as “confidence in oneself and in one's powers and abilities.”

Wow. This is a very worldly term. Not much room for Jesus if we are to have confidence and depend on ourselves in all that we do.

Often, our own confidence denotes pride.  

I do believe there is a healthy amount of confidence that is needed in our lives, but that confidence doesn’t come from self – it comes from Jesus Christ. I often pray that I will be confident in who I am in Jesus, but for some reason seeing the word ‘self-confidence’ really jumped out at me.

So I have decided to now pray for Jesus confidence. It’s not about me, it’s ALL about HIM! I can’t do anything in my own strength.

“I can do all things through CHRIST who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13

 “He must become greater; I must become less.” John 3:30

“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” Romans 8:37

Romans 8 goes on to say that NOTHING can separate us from God – “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Vs. 38-39

”Such confidence we have through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.” 2 Corinthians 3:4-5

“In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.” Ephesians 3:12

“His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” 2 Peter 1:3

Cross references:

Ephesians 3:1 : 2Co 3:4; Heb 3:14; 4:16; 10:19, 35Such powerful scriptures! I could just quote scripture after scripture to back up that WE NEED JESUS! We can’t do anything on our own. “Nothing is impossible with God.” Matthew 19:26

One of my favorite authors, Beth Moore in her book So Long Insecurity said, “We're going to have to let truth scream louder to our souls than the lies that have infected us.” As humans we worry way too much about what other people think about us. We have to let go and let God lead, and be the people He created us to be. And not worry what others’ opinions of us are.

So I guess the question is, where does your confidence come from – self or God? And if your confidence is lacking (like mine often is), we need to pray for healing in that area in our lives. Because we are called to stand up and be His hands and feet and shine His light in this dark world. Afterall, we are created in His image – we reflect our Creator.

Lead, guide, and direct our paths, Lord Jesus. Make us whole and confident in who we are in You. All that we need is already in us, so manifest the Jesus confidence in us and use us for Your glory – that in all we do we may glorify You! I want to exude You, Jesus. I want every ounce of my being to honor and praise Your Name. Please don’t just let my words be just words, cultivate the things of You in me and push out the bad. You are the Great Physician; heal us and use us for Your work. We want to be Your hands and feet in this dark world. I want to shine Your light! Take me, break me, mold me, make me – I am Yours! We love you, God! Amen.


Cross references:

No comments:

Post a Comment