This
morning, before I started to brush my teeth, I reached into the bathroom cabinet
to grab my mouthwash. I decided I should probably use some, since I hadn’t in a
few days. As I was getting it, I thought to myself; “What good is it if I don’t
use it?” That question made me start to think about other things we have, but
don’t use. The number one thing being the gifts and talents God has placed in
each of us. We may use them on the surface to a certain extent, but do we
really stretch ourselves, passed our comfort zones, to do what God created each
of us to do? I know I don’t. But I find that when I am stretching myself and
using my gifts for God, that, that is when I feel most alive and joyful.
So why do
we, as humans, have such a hard time with getting out of our comfort zones and
using these gifts? I think it comes down to the words safe and comfortable. We
like to stay in the familiar. Crossing into unfamiliar territory is scary. Let’s
face it, we all have our fears. But when we completely surrender those fears to
Jesus, that is when He can really start using us.
“So do not fear, for I am
with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10
I encourage you to pray and ask God what
ways He wants to use you. Make a list of the gifts that God has given you, and
pray for clarity and direction how to use them.
I pray right now that God will take the
things that He has placed in me and use them for HIS glory, that it will NEVER
be about me, but ALL about HIM! I pray that You will give me the courage to
step out in faith, because that is so hard for me. I want the amazing, abundant
life You have for me. Help me to obey You. Help me to trust You. Help me to
surrender all of me and not just part. I want all You have for me. I love You,
God. Amen.
1. Loving
and compassionate towards others.
2. Music/singing
3. Teaching
4. Creativity
Back to the mouthwash. I have the Glamorous Clean kind. And
that brought another thought to me mind; How do we truly live a glamorous clean
life? Obviously it’s not possible for us, as humans, to live completely without
sin. That will not be possible until we get to the Kingdom. But how do we live
this so called glamorous clean life? I think it starts by reading God’s Word
every day, faithfully. Honestly I struggle with this. I’ll read consecutively
every day for a while and then I’ll skip a day. And that just starts the
downward spiral to not reading it for 2 days, 3 days, and so on. I’ll start a
new book, and neglect my Bible. Even though they are Christian books that
contain scripture, I should still probably make time to read my Bible alongside
these books. The Bible clearly states that it is the sword of the Spirit. We
must put on the FULL armor of God each day, including God’s Word. We must have
the Bible to fight against the enemy who comes to steal, kill, and destroy.
“Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”
Ephesians 6:17
I think alongside reading the Bible, we must stay away from
things that go against Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers and sisters,
whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or
praiseworthy—think about such things.”
My mom made up a song to help us remember these essential things;
it goes to the tune up “Are You Sleeping?”
“True, Noble, Right, Pure. True, Noble, Right, Pure. Lovely,
Admirable, Lovely, Admirable. Excellent and Praiseworthy. Excellent and
praiseworthy. Think on these things. Think on these things.”
We are all on different points in our spiritual journey. Some
days I feel like I’m farther along, and some days I feel I’ve taken many steps
back. Each day is a challenge. Following Christ is not easy; it takes a lot of
work. And much of the time I’m too lazy to put in any effort. It’s sad to
admit, but it’s true. I don’t want to get up early and spend quality time with
God. My heart wants to, but the rest of me wants to stay in bed and sleep as
long as I can. And maybe that’s what’s holding me back from being completely
free.
What’s holding you back from being used totally by God? Is it
fear? Laziness? Complacency? Comfortableness? Uncertainty? Whatever it may be,
I pray that we, myself included, will break free from these chains! I so badly
want to be completely free!
What must I do, Lord? I cry Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God
Almighty. Who was and who is and who is to come! Thank You Jesus! Thank You!
Your love endures forever!
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
Romans 8:28
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to
give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
No comments:
Post a Comment