"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back." Philippians 3:12-14

Thursday, December 1, 2011

accepting authenticity

Webster's Dictionary defines authenticity as "true to one's own personality, spirit, or character."

I really strive to be authentic in all that I do, but sometimes I feel like I fall short of totally being myself.

I want to be real with people, but will people really accept who I am? And if they don't, then I believe they are not filled with God's love for who I am in Christ.

Which brings me to why I am writing this post; I have come to the conclusion that I have not totally accepted the authenticity of peoples' love for me. God has truly shown His love through His people for me. But I still question why these people have such a great love and acceptance for me. Don't get me wrong I am SO thankful for my church family who surrounds me with encouragement and a great love from Christ, but I guess deep down accepting why God has blessed me so much is mind boggling.

I know God loves me so much that He sent His only Son to die for me. Maybe I haven't totally accepted His forgiveness for me. The Bible says God forgives us our sins and then forgets them, so why is it so hard for us, as humans, to accept this? That's just it, we are only human. It takes time for us to heal from the bondage of sin. Being in bondage takes a toll on us physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. So of course it is going to take some time for these things to heal.

Bondage- "the tenure or service of a slave." Who wants to be a slave to sin? No thank you! I'm choosing to be a servant of Christ!

Since I have been freed from this bondage, I have received many blessings from God, but I have faced consequences as well. I'm not sure if the physical pain I have been experiencing is consequences of sin, or if it's the devil beating me down because I am finally being obedient and following God. Either way, I ask for your prayers. Prayers of healing, prayers of comfort, and prayers of peace.

Through these afflictions God is everpresent. He has surrounded me with people that love Him and me uncondtionally. I'm not sure why, but asking for prayers for myself seems kind of selfish when there are people in so much more need than myself, but even writing that sounds crazy, because God cares about all of our needs, big or small. And I know that when God's people agree in prayer, then He is there and answers our requests...not always the way we see fit, but according to His will.

Well I knew this post would be kind of scattered, but these are the things that are on my heart today. I want to be authentic, and I want to be able to accept the authentic love for me from others. Afterall, what is the church for if not to love, encourage, and forgive others.

Most importantly, what does God's Word say about all this?

"I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you." Matthew 18:19

"My child, pay attention to what I say. Listen carefully to my words. Don’t lose sight of them. Let them penetrate deep into your heart, for they bring life to those who find them, and healing to their whole body. Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." Proverbs 4:20-23

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:37-39

Don't you want the seal of authenticity of Jesus Christ? I do!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment