"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back." Philippians 3:12-14

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

DEFINING MOMENT

Defining moment: "a point at which the essential nature or character of a person, group, etc., is revealed or identified."

So when exactly do we, as Christians, have a defining moment? Or is there more than one defining moment throughout the course of our lives?

From the very beginning, even before we were born, God defined who we would be in Him. Whether we will ultimately accept these defining moments is up to us.

The Bible says in Jeremiah 1:5, "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations."
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

So I believe the first defining moment started when God began to create us in our mother's womb.

Defining moment number two happens when we choose to accept the Lord, Jesus Christ, as our Savior. And vow to live for Him with all that we have, knowing that we will always fall short of His glory. But always striving to daily die to the flesh and live in the Spirit.

John 3:16 (a favorite of many) says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
"For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live." Romans 8:13
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24 

So far, our two defining moments cannot be from man; they are soley from God.

Our third defining moment in life is when we are prayed over and accept the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I didn't grow up around "Spirit-filled" people or churches, so this took me some time to truly understand. (if you can even really understand it at all...it's kind of a faith thing). But how amazing it is to be filled with the Holy Spirit. I now have a prayer language all of my own and when the Spirit leads, I pray, not knowing who or what I am praying for or about. There again, only God can define this aspect regarding our spiritual walk with Christ. 

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:8
"And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability." Acts 2:4  

In our daily walk striving to follow Christ, I think we all have our own individual defining moments. These defining moments are such things as; being obedient to Christ by saying no to the flesh and saying yes to the Spirit and the calling God has placed on your life. The Bible says that God blesses obedience. So stop worrying about what other people think (afterall we are supposed to please God, not man....something I have to work on daily).  

"Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them." John 14:21
"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10

So our defining moments in life are at birth, our acceptance of Jesus, baptism in the Holy Spirit, and other ways that we are obedient to the Lord in our walk with Him. Christ defines all these moments, not man. Lastly, our ultimate defining moment is when Christ returns to take His people home. If you're a Christian, we will spend all of eternity in heaven with our precious Savior. I believe Christians will be judged a bit differently than those who decide not to accept Jesus. We will be defined by our "good works" here on earth. But I'm not gonna get into all that, because I don't understand it quite fully. But I do know that we will receive a reward that we in turn will lay right back down at the feet of Jesus. While here on earth, we should always give back and praise God for all He has blessed us with.

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." 2 Corinthians 5:10
"Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done." Revelation 22:12   

Only God can truly define who I am. Everyone else's definition of me is merely just opinion. My defining moments are found in who I am in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment