"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back." Philippians 3:12-14

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

“You must not have any other god but me." Exodus 20:3

"I LOVE JESUS, YES I DO! I LOVE JESUS, HOW 'BOUT YOU?" (chant aloud)

If only we would get this excited about Jesus.

Priorities are a big issue in many people's lives. We put so much emphasis on the smallest things, yet fail to realize what matters most.

So let's ponder that question for a moment.....what really matters most in your life. Make a list of your priorities.

As much as I would like to put Jesus at the top of my priorities, honestly it doesn't always happen that way. So many things can get in the way of our relationship with God that just really don't matter. But when it comes down to it, when we put God as our number one then everything else will fall into place. So why don't we just do it right the first time? Duh, we're human. Period. That explains it all. We're not perfect. And we want to do things OUR way.

Bear with me now, I'm about to step on some people's toes, I'm afraid. But nevertheless, here goes.

I think a big issue in our culture today is the major emphasis on sports. Don't get me wrong, sports are not bad in and of themselves. I personally played basketball in high school and am a UNC fan. But the emphasis some people put on these activities is kind of ridiculous. Some people may call it passion, I guess, but putting this "passion" above Jesus Christ is a "no, no."

I hope none of this comes across as judgmental, because that's not the point I am trying to make. All I'm saying is we, as Americans, as Christians, as human beings have screwed up priorities. And we are in desperate need of a Savior to lead and guide and direct our path.

Priority screw up numero dos, the busyness of everyday life. That's a big one for everybody. Especially those who are married and have kids. So that one is pretty self explanitory. Things during your day get in the way of spending time with Jesus.

There's so many things that get in the way of our relationship with God. Anything that is a distraction or you put above the one true God is ultimately an idol. OOOH! I think I just hit the nail on the head. But of course, growing up in church we are taught to put God first. It says it right in the ten commandments. But realizing that this is what you do when you choose to spend time doing something other than seeking God is kind of an eye opener....to me at least.

So your challenge is to shout unto God with a voice of triumph and praise! Make His name known to all who will listen. Let's cheer for Jesus and His people!

No comments:

Post a Comment